This one was a BIG EPISODE. THERE ARE 17(ish) PROJECTS IN TOTAL… The main episode is embedded first, but I made many supplimentary video and image posts to demonstrate the multitude of different projects I included in this episode. Here they are in order of mention and demonstration.
- CLIP ON BEAMSPLITTER LENS (MIRROR TYPE)- For Single Lens Smartphones
- CLIP ON SMARTPHONE LENSES- For Stereo Smartphones and even Stereo Point & Shoots like the Fuji W series or Panasonic Lumix, etc
- DOUBLE MIRROR RIG- For Single Lens Smartphones to utilize Front & Rear facing cameras Simultaneously with the aid of an app. I made each side of the rig out of two 45° corners (used for shipping framed pictures of glass), taped together with craft mirrors taped at the top.
- LENS BALLS CONFIGURATIONS (STEREO BALLS)- For Single Lens Smartphones, can do Stereoball set up or Multiball!
- LINEAR POLARIZED LENS FILTERS- For Stereo Smartphones or Stereo Point & Shoots, for capturing polarized images in stereo like Vectographs, Stereojets, Polarized 3D Movies or Polarized Shadowgraphs, special effects stereos, etc..
- PRISMS- CHANDELIER PRISMS WERE USED For Single Lens Smartphones, or also stereo smartphones & point & shoots. use a prism to split image capture into multiple vantage points
- MASKS- For Single Lens Smartphones when taking hyperstereos or to mask areas in Stereo Smartphones/Point & Shoots to minimize editing in post
- 4 LENS MULTI RIG- For 2 ANDROID Stereo Smartphones with a Splitter & Selfie Stick
- MULTIRIGGING WITH SOUND ACTIVATED SHUTTER APPS- For multiple Single Lens or Stereo Smartphones. Download a Sound Activated Shuttering App on all phones you want to multi rig to fire simultaneously using a loud sound
- MULTIRIGGING WITH REMOTE SHUTTER- For ANDROID Single Lens or Stereo Smartphones (I’ve only ever successfully done this with Android phones)
- TWINRIGGING/MULTIRIGGING VIA FINGER SYNCING- TWINRIG 2 Single Lens Smartphones or 2 Stereo Smartphones and Finger Sync the Shutters
- X PRISM BEAM COMBINER- Use 1 For Single Lens Cha Chas or 2 For Stereo Smartphones & Stereo Point & Shoots- The X Prism acts as a beam splitter AND a beam combiner and will produce a 3 vantage point RGB Differential light effect
- DOUBLE RHOMBUS PRISM BASELINE EXTENDER / REDUCER- For Stereo Smartphones & Point & Shoots. TWO Configurations can be achieved from the prisms pictured
- DOUBLE RHOMBUS PRISM BEAMSPLITTER- For Single Lens Smartphones- The same prism set can be configured to form a beamsplitter to mount on Single Lens Smartphones
- CLOSEUP LENS/ MAGNIFIER- For Single Lens Smartphone Cha Chas or Stereo Smartphones
- DIY FILTERS & SPECIAL LENS EFFECTS- For Single Lens or Stereo Smartphones or Point & Shoots- Practically ANY sort of transparent or translucent material can be used to shoot special effects images and video
- WASHER MOUNTS FOR DIY FILTERS & SPECIAL EFFECT LENSES- For Single Lens Smartphones & Stereo Smartphones & Point & Shoots. Mount your optical “DIY FILTERS” On Washers with openings wide enough to cover your lenses for clean and easy DIY SPECIAL EFFECT FILTERS that are neat and easy to use.
1-CLIP ON BEAMSPLITTER LENS (MIRROR TYPE)
There are a variety of mirror type beamsplitters for smartphones, with qualities ranging from so-so to top of the line. I have gotten perfectly adequate smartphone stereos from a mirror beamsplitter, but I DO prefer prism splits because the lens size on a smartphone is so small.
2-CLIP ON SMARTPHONE LENSES
3-DOUBLE MIRROR RIG- for Synchronous Capture from Front & Rear Cameras
For this project I used my iphone 6. There are quite a few apps that allow simultaneous camera capture which records as a split screen, the app I used for my model phone was called “Double Camera”
Of course, post editing will be necessary since the front and rear cameras have 2 different lenses, but most stereo workflows require post editing anyway. The extra step in the workflow is minimal, it just requires enlarging and cropping the smaller of the two image captures before alignment which can be done before bringing into a stereo editing program like i3D steroid.
I’ve been asked specifically about the construction of this rig, I’ve used 4 corner guards for packing/shipping artwork or glass, these can be found at packing and office supply stores like UPS and Staples, etc. I tape 2 together in a rhombus configuration and tape the mirror on top, and use tape to secure each piece to either side of my phone. Afterwards, I can break it down and even use the corners to store the mirrors in safely for travel, I can store it in my pocket.
4- LINEAR POLARIZED LENSES
I cut a pair of paper glasses with linear polarized lenses, like those sold at American Paper Optics for this project. As you can see in the video, different placements of the lenses result in either orthoscopic or pseudoscopic stereo results.
It is recommended to mark the front, back, top and bottom of the glasses when cutting out for stereo shooting as in time they will get disorganized and it will be difficult to judge the ACTUAL direction of the lenses.
5- LENS BALL CONFIGURATIONS
8- 4 LENS MULTIRIG FROM 2 STEREO SMARTPHONES
2 ANDROID Stereo Smartphones (I use two LG THRILLS) can be twinrigged in your desired configuration and shuttered simultaneously with a SPLITTER designed to operate video on two phones simultaneously. I have mine hooked up to a selfie stick and operate the shutter on both stereo cameras by pushing a single button. additional post editing is needed due to up/down camera config but this is minimal.
I would also like to add that my good friend Hiroshi Yoshinaga in Japan has created a 4 lens multi rig using two canon DSLR cameras fitted with a pair of Loreo brand beamsplitter lenses and creates very high quality 4 image multi’s which he animates for wiggle gifs. Please check out his account HERE https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnmY_WPDrEN/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
9- MULTIRIGGING ANY TYPE OF SMARTPHONES USING THE AID OF A SOUND ACTIVATED SHUTTERING APP
There are an ENORMOUS variety of sound activated shuttering apps which can be downloaded for any type and model of smartphone. When your smartphone is actively running the app, any sound with a loud enough decibel level, such as a loud sharp handclap, will trigger the shutter on all phones within earshot that are running the apps. You can trigger any number of phones, even those of different brands and models, with a sound triggering app running. The shuttering may not be as exact as something like gen locking, but it may be exact enough for many purposes.. experiment around until you find something suitable 🙂
10- MULTIRIGGING ANDROID SMARTPHONES USING A REMOTE SHUTTER
I only suggest using a remote shutter for MULTIRIGGING ANDROID SMARTPHONES as I have never successfully used a remote shutter for multiple iphones
11- TWINRIGGING OR MULTIRIGGING VIA FINGER SYNCING
Finger syncing is a tried and true method for capturing stereos with two cameras and is a technique that has been used by stereographers for the entire history of twinning. Fingersync two cameras or smartphones for a stereo photo pair, fingersync two stereo cameras or stereo smartphones (or even regular smartphones or cameras with a beam splitting lens) for multiple image captures.
12- X PRISM BEAM SPLITTER/COMBINER
These can be purchased from me (send me a DM on Instagram as my 3D Shop is currently closed but I still have a few in stock) or online easily as they are a very popular trend. Simply place one over you lens(es) and capture some magical images! Be CAREFUL they are EXTREMELY SHARP
13- DOUBLE RHOMBUS PRISM BASELINE EXTENDER / REDUCER
14- DOUBLE RHOMBUS PRISM BEAMSPLITTER
15- CLOSE UP LENS/MAGNIFIER
16- DIY FILTERS & SPECIAL LENS EFFECTS
Practically any transparent/translucent material can be used as a potential DIY filter. You can experiment with plastics, fabrics, reflective materials. You can use lenses from glasses, optical materials, shoot through tubes for heyhole effects, there is simply no end to what you can experiment with so have fun and play around
17- WASHER MOUNTS
If you do find a material that you particularly like, and it’s something that you want to mount onto a smartphone lens or point & shoot lens more easily, try mounting the material onto a washer. You can buy them in variety packs at most dollar stores and just make sure the hole is wide enough to completely allow the lens to show through, then you can take your material and glue around the edges and make a more professional and easy to use filter.
AND THATS THE END OF $$$#10 ON CAMERA LENS HACKS FOR DIGITAL STEREO- IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, DM ME ON INSTAGRAM @parkitlikeitshot
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST! -ilicia
You must be logged in to post a comment.